Sunday 2 July 2017

Jeffree Star Summer Chrome Collection! - Crystal Ball Skin Frost Review & Swatches


This year has already seen many amazing trends within the makeup world. One of my favourites has to be the trend of duochrome! Of course if you've seen my last 2 posts then you will already know that!

Needless to say, I was VERY excited when I heard the news of Jeffree Star bringing out a limited edition summer collection of makeup products, entitled the 'summer chrome collection'. Now I am a massive fan of Jeffree Star, and I already own a few of his products which I think are fantastic, so I was excited to see what was on offer in this collection.

There are a great selection of products in this Summer chrome collection, which includes lipsticks, liquid lipsticks, lip scrubs, and highlighters. In the UK you can buy Jeffree's products from Beautybay - http://www.beautybay.com/jeffreestarcosmetics/

Jeffree had done a reveal video on his youtube channel, along with swatches of the new products to be released. I made a little list, but unfortunately could only afford to realistically buy one thing from the collection (damn you mortgage saving fund!!).

I ordered myself one of the Skin Frost highlighters, which was the shade 'Crystal Ball'. It looked amazing being swatched on Jeffree's video, so I knew that was the one for me! The highlighter itself was £25.50, which in my opinion is quite expensive, but with the skin frosts you do get a lot of product!




Firstly I want to applaud Jeffree on his packaging, because not only the actual compact, but also the box it came in is stunning! Its almost like a pink mirrored affect, similar to the Sleek highlighting palettes.





On the inside of the compact you have a good sized mirror, and the usual Jeffree Star logo embossed into the powder. For those of you who have never seen a skin frost highlighter before, let me tell you, they are big! You get a lot of product, and usually a little does go a long way. In terms of grams, you get 15g of product!

The colour of the product is described as being an 'icy white duochrome with a pink shift'.





When I first started to swatch the product, I noticed that the consistency of the powder felt a lot different to one of the skin frost's that I already have. It was much more of drier formula. But that's ok, because of course it is a different finish to the standard skin frost highlighters. However when I proceeded to swatch the product on my arm, I noticed that it wasn't swatching as smoothly as I'd expected. It also was not as blinding as I'd expected either! It almost seemed like the product was bunching up in certain areas on the skin, and you really had to smooth it out to get it to look nice. There was also a lot of kick up when you start to apply the product using a brush.



On the skin the powder does look really pretty, and there is definitely a pink duochrome to it. Although I feel the pink doesn't come through as much as i'd like, you can still see it when shifting the product in the light. I do feel like you do have to work with this powder, as a lot of the pigment does seem to stick to certain places, so blending is needed. 

I do like how the product looks though, it's more of a subtle highlight in my opinion. Do I think it's worth the £25.50 I paid for it?? Absolutely not. It's not an extremely awful product, however I don't think it's as fantastic as it was made out to be. 

I would be happy to try out more products from this collection, especially some of the liquid lipsticks!

Let me know if you've tried this product out and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment